Recently I had a frustrating experience with our Tribal Council. I am not frustrated with the whole council but some. Here is my quest for some information that should be available to Tribal members:
Timeline for Round Valley LLC information request:
- September 15, 2010 I viewed Round Valley LLC Audit for 2009 which indicated that a Tribal Council member had work performed by Round Valley LLC (a wholly owned Tribal company).
- September 29, 2010 I asked questions during a Tribal Council meeting and was directed to meet with Tribal Council privately during an afternoon session.
- October 12, 2010 I met with the Tribal Council seeking answers to my questions during an afternoon session.
- I was instructed to ask the, Tribal Records Administrator, for the records.
- October 13, 2010 I submitted a request to the records administrator
- November 4, 2010 I was informed that the records I sought were not “Tribal” records and I would need to ask the management of Round Valley Construction for the records. Tribal Council serves as the board of directors for Round Valley LLC.
- November 23, 2010 I submitted a written request to the Tribal Council and to the board of directors for Round Valley Construction LLC
- December 22, 2010 I again asked the Tribal Council at a Tribal Council meeting for information since it had been one month and I had not been contacted or given any information regarding my request.
- December 23, 2010 In a Tribal Council Work session Vice Chairman Leno accuses me of a “personal vendetta” or personal attack against him for requesting information.
- December 28, 2010 Councilman McClary, and acting Chairman of Round Valley LLC, notified me via email that he had obtained the document regarding Vice Chairman Leno and I could pick that up from him.
- December 29, 2010 I only received an Invoice for work performed by Round Valley for Vice Chairman Leno. Prior to this I had no formal conformation that Councilman Leno was in fact the Council member who had received services from Round Valley.
- Since then I have requested specific information about the work performed at Vice Chairman Leno’s personal residence because the invoice was for $75.36 and appeared to be for less than market rates. I was denied, by the Round Valley board, any further information.
The issue is that Vice Chairman Leno was the Chairman of the board for Round Valley LLC at the time the work was performed on 09/16/2009. His brother in-law is the Round Valley foreman who approves all work.
So how would you suggest I gain access to the rest of the information regarding this clear conflict of interest?